Monday, June 11, 2012


Not on. Not beside. IN. Well, hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by saying that, because it hasn't gotten inside the cabin yet, and I sincerely hope it doesn't.

In a little over 24 hours, the river flooded to higher than it ever got in 10 days of flooding last September.

This photo was taken yesterday morning around 11. The actual river bed is on the far side of those picnic tables.

The rest of these were taken this morning at about 7:30 am:
Picnic tables all but underwater...

 This is where one of us usually parks, and now look at that current! Also, pots of herbs that I transplanted from the garden yesterday before it flooded. Below, I'm standing where I just showed where we usually park. The water is about 6 inches high. In September when we got flooded, this area never got more than 3 or 4 inches high. (In comparison, between the cabin and the shed, this morning I was walking through waist deep water at times. No, not hip deep. WAIST deep.

 One of our garden plots, completely under water. I harvested 15 seminole pumpkins from this plot yesterday, although a few weren't completely ripened, so that we wouldn't lose them.

 This shot is of the shed in the distance. Usually the shed is about 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Here, the water is about 2 inches below the bottom of it.

 Off our back deck - the round paving stone is where our shower is.

Aaaand, I've got to leave you all with a couple non-flood photos as well. I found this TINY little anole in the HUGE parsley (right, at least 5 feet tall, maybe 6) that I dug up yesterday so that I can dry the leaves.


So... all in all, the possibility of moving to the new property is looking better and better. Especially because Mike was working yesterday, so I had to do all the moving of stuff (and boats) from outside inside/into the shed/bracing all the spare wood and pcp piping so it wouldn't float away, transplanting the plants worth saving, etc. by myself.

 And then I kayaked most of a mile out to my car this morning, in my bathing suit, with my purse, lunch, and dance clothes in a drybag backpack, locked the kayak to the gate for Mike to use when he gets home, and then changed into my business casual outfit beside my car before heading in to work.

I'm tired. Also in awe. Also feeling lucky to be able to witness (and be forced to deal with) such a force of nature, but to not have my life threatened by it. Also tired.


  1. You guys be safe! What a very cool thing you are doing!

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. In particularly strong typhoons, there's a high possibility for riverbanks to get flooded. Hopefully it's not going to happen to your case. You can do something to re-route the water flow so it won't accumulate in your area, or you can also try having storm chambers installed to delay the onset of floodwater.

    HydroLogic Solutions, Inc.