Monday, January 9, 2012

Ever been woken up by a cow walking past your house?

Well now I have! A few days ago, I heard someone, or something, walking outside the cabin, and went outside to find 3 steer looking back at me! Throughout the afternoon and the next few days, I saw several more.
Turns out our neighbor across the river doesn't have a fence for his cows along the river, so when the river is low, they can just walk across. Luckily they only dug up a few carrots and chives from the garden, and only left a couple of paddies near the house (although there are more around the property). Having someone else's cows just outside my house is an experience I never really expected to have, but now I have! Every day it's something new! Our neighbor finally rounded them up and took them back to one of his pastures that is actually fenced all around. Now we just have to look out for cow paddies....

In other news, Mike and I spent the afternoon and evening canning yesterday. This week's haul:






CORN!!! Freshly shucked, 6 pints.











Roasted red peppers. Mmmmmmm. 6 1/2 pints.







And 6 more quarts of tomatoes - some red, some yellow, and some heirloom, but I've already posted photos of tomatoes so I didn't take one of them.


And last but not least, a couple photos of the full moon last night, taken from the front porch:




Thanks to everyone who has come to check this blog out - you are why I made it in the first place!

1 comment:

  1. when we lived on a farm in rutherfordton, i was awakened by what i thought was a torrential rainstorm just to look outside a see a cow urinating! i love reading your adventures!

    ReplyDelete